You are here : Home // The museum is growing !
Herzog & de Meuron
An ambitious project
Since summer 2012, an extensive refurbishment and construction project has been launched: both the former convent and the municipal baths are currently being redesigned to better present the collections of art of the 12th to the 18th century and host special events.
A new building is also being erected to house galleries of modern and contemporary art as well as temporary exhibitions.
Moreover, an underground passage will serve as an additional exhibition space to present the aesthetical evolution from classic art to modern art/more modern paintings.
The whole project is due to be completed by mid-2014.
If you want to know more about the cultural and architectural project of our Museum, please feel free to consult the section on the subject on the website of the city of Colmar.
The museum’s latest news
During the refurbishment and construction period, the archeology and the modern art are not accessible to the public: it is waiting for a dedicated exhibition space that the project led by the renowned architects Herzog & de Meuron will guarantee. Meanwhile, the museum wants his visitors to still be able to enjoy most of its treasures.
In order to achieve this goal, the whole team has planned to move some of the collections and make several major refurbishments.
Please click here if you want to read online the complete version of the special brochure on the subject “le Musée s’agrandit”.
Visitors are able to admire the collections presented: One museum on two sites until April 2015
In the Dominican :
Due to renovation work in the former convent, and until April 2015, the Isenheim Altarpiece is on view in the Dominican, located about 200 metres from the Musée Unterlinden. This temporary transfer offers an exceptional and unprecedented opportunity to present, alongside Grünewald and Haguenau’s monumental masterwork, all three painted works by the Colmar native Martin Schongauer held in Colmar: the Orlier Altarpiece (1470–1475), the Altarpiece of the Dominicans (c. 1480) and the Virgin at the Rose Bush (1473). The altarpiece depicting Saint Catherine and Saint Lawrence (c. 1510) and sculptures from the Late Middle Ages round out the presentation.
On the first floor of the Musée Unterlinden:
- Painting and sculpture from around 1500
The museum is renowned for its collection of paintings and sculptures from the Middle Ages and the Renaissance: works by artists active in the Upper Rhine, Bavaria and northern Germany, such as Hans Holbein the Elder and Lucas Cranach.
- Decorative arts and Alsatian folk art from the 16th to the 19th century
Exemplifying the breadth of the Musée Unterlinden’s encyclopaedic holdings, these galleries feature a wide range of objects, from fine ceramics to works in silver and gold, notably including the famous grouping known as the Trésor des Trois-Épis, together with other highlights, such as the 1624 Ruckers harpsichord and the ceremonial shield of the lords of Ribeaupierre. Alsatian folk art and traditions are represented by paintings under glass and painted furniture, among other works. The museum’s 19th-century fine art collection spans nearly all genres, from history painting, landscapes and portraits to still lifes.
- A separate exhibition space is dedicated to the museum’s current projects: recent archaeological excavations, acquisitions, restoration campaigns, etc.
→ A single admission ticket provides access to both sites, the Musée Unterlinden and the Dominican.